Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Lady's Letter-Writer: Letter IV


Now for the eagerly anticipated Letter IV.

Letter IV
After Frequent Meetings
(and yet another follow-up to Letter I 'A young Lady, in Answer to the Proposal of a Gentleman who had met her the previous Evening')

Hempstead, Dec. 15th, 18--
Dear Sir, 

It is impossible for me to deny that your assiduous, but delicate, attentions to me of late have confirmed a favorable impression I had formed, but which the suddenness of your address rendered it impossible I could avow.  Your whole conduct has been that of a gentleman, and Mrs. ....'s representations are so strongly in your favor, that I feel it would be false modesty in me to disclaim a feeling of strong regard for yourself.  Let us not, however, be too hasty in our conclusion -- let us not mistake momentary impulse for permanent impression; let us rather seek to know more of each other, to study each other's temper's, and to establish that sincere esteem which should, which must, be the foundation of every deeper feeling.

I have written to my father on the subject, and, as I anticipated, he has laid me under no restraint, save of cautioning me not to be hasty in giving that promise, or accepting it from another, which may involve the happiness of a whole life.  Meanwhile, Mrs.... begs that you will accept a general invitation to her tea-table, to which arrangement, I can assure you, no objection will be made by
                                                                               Yours very truly,

To ...., Esq.


No comments:

Post a Comment