Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Lady's Letter-Writer: Letter VIII

Letter VIII
Another, (yep, another, version of Letter I) on the Grounds of Levity

Hartford, June 15, 18--

Sir: -- It is to my sorrow that I confess that there was a time when your addresses would have both flattered and pleased me.  That time has long since passed.  Why -- you best know.  

I could never consent to unite myself to a man who has marred the happiness of more than one young person, by his total forgetfulness of the proper duties of the stronger sex to the weaker.  I have heard, unhappily, too much of your last year's conduct, to feel any compunction in at once declining any more intimate acquaintance.

Wishing, however, that you may be more true to yourself, and that the dangerous levity, which must eventually prove more fatal to your happiness than it has done hitherto, may be exchanged for a more manly, because more innocent, line of conduct.

                                                  Believe me, 

                                                        Your sincere well-wisher, 



To...., Esq.

No comments:

Post a Comment