Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Lady's Letter-Writer IS BACK!! Letter XXIV

Letter XXIV
(for some reason, the letters in the book have the wrong numbers, i.e. Letter XXIII is followed by the letter below, which is numbered in the book Letter XXL.  But I'm giving it the correct number, because I care.)
On a Clandestine Meeting

Williamsburg, May 1, 18--

Dear ...: Although my own conscience tells me that anything like clandestine conduct should be avoided, still I feel that we are most unhappily placed, and that the undue opposition on the part of my aunt, in seeking to force upon me a man whom I dislike, excuses to some extent what I cannot justify.

Would that we could both act uprightly, and cherish an honorable attachment (such as I feel yours to be) without restraint!  A few months more, however, will see me mistress of my own fortune and liberty, and then there will be no further need of concealment.

I shall be walking ..... at ..... o'clock, when we shall perhaps gain an opportunity of a few minutes' conversation.

Hoping sincerely that fairer prospects may yet arise for both of us, believe me,

                                                           Dear.....

                                                                    Ever affectionately yours,

                                                                      .............. .....

To:..... ........


No comments:

Post a Comment